Monday, December 12, 2005

Once a queen of Narnia, always a queen of Narnia

And Narnia did not disappoint. It was too amazing to really attempt a typed explanation, so just go see it, and tell me when you do because I'll go see it with you, again and again and again. And when it comes out on DVD I'm going to buy it and watch it everymorning.
I left the movie very unsettled, disappointed that I do not have noble adventures to go on, no magical wardrobes to walk through. I think that is the trouble with me and movies, I get so caught up in it, that I am usually disappointed when I leave. Life seems so much more worthwhile with a swelling soundtrack behind it. Thus, the charm of the cinema and why theaters can get away with charging $9.50 a pop.
As we were driving away, I realized that, I do have options to go on noble adventures, and if I really chose to look at life that way, every day can be a noble adventure. I know more than many how much life is a gift, and how blessed I am in my current surroundings, with plenty of people I love and who love me. Who am I to say I do not have the opportunity to do anything noble? Life can be intentional and meaningful without musical interludes, but it takes a continuous choice, and a lot of energy. I just wish I could keep this feeling beyond rolling out of bed tomorrow morning, because I can guarantee that the beeping alarm with be a little more salient than this stirring I have at the moment. But, I've already started a list of noble things I can do, we'll see if that helps this stick.
The other thing deep within my ponderings as we drove down Aurora, was my wish for such clear cut sides of right and wrong. During the battles, there was an obvious enemy (easily definable by their natty hair and general lack of good hygiene, I learned that you can't base it on appearance of "ugly" alone, in the background of one scene, I saw a warthog clearly taking out a hag, heh) and there was an obvious "right" side, led by Aslan. I found myself wishing that the wars we see today were as clear as Aslan vs. the White Witch. But there is so much history, so much divisiveness, so much greed and corruption and clouded morals on both side of every argument, it's hard sometimes to choose sides. And to choose when it is appropriate to choose sides. And then, once again I realized, that there is a war going on, where the lines are already drawn, the the "sides" are much more clear. Silly Lynn, Narnia is for allegories. Good and evil. Love and hate. At the heart of every war, every fight, there is something deeper, working within both sides. And, I am so glad that the battle has already been won, although it might not be over just yet. As much as my sociologist murmurings are still cautious of declaring absolute right and wrong (I think we as fallen beings are limited in our understandings of absolutes), I know it is right to draw a line with "to act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with my God" (Micah 6:8b). And you can draw your sword to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home