Thursday, June 01, 2006

A portfolio of life....

It is the end of my second to last day of work. There are many more reflections to come as I close the chapter of this significant place in my life, but there was something salient that was worth documenting. I had the pleasure of attending two different portfolio shows for three of my favorite students. An 8 foot table contains the cumulating of their years at SPU. I think design students are lucky to have an academic discipline that gives them such a tangible expression to mount on black boards. And it got me thinking, wouldn't it be nice to have the last three years wrapped up in a portfolio? Part of me wanted to photocopy my entire filing cabinet, folders of schedules, work sheets, drama scripts..... I want to take with me everything that represents what these last three years have been. And then I thought of my final cadre, looking around at all the students, most of which I met at their pre-Orientation as freshman. They've been a part of leadership, events, new clubs.... And I realized, that's my portfolio. I've had the privilege to be a part of these student's lives, and a chance to witness the impact they have had on SPU's campus. I can't bind it, and I can't put it on poster board..... but then again, I wouldn't have room for them in my car for the drive home anyways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home