Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I am so ashamed....

I promised myself I would only enter a Starbucks to get their city mug, because I have decided I am going to collect the mugs of cities I've lived in (and because they are HUGE, so they not only work for a lot of tea or coffee, but for cereal, soup, oatmeal, or the best use: EASY MAC). I already have two (CA and San Fran, thanks Aunt Sharon), and although I haven't gotten one for Seattle yet, I know where to find them. Anyways, the anti-Starbucks feeling was just that I was in London for a cross-cultural experience, and going to the carbon-copy coffee shop that peppers every American street does not count. However, today after venturing out to central London for a "cognitive assessment," (hee) I went looking for a good place to nestle in with a hot beverage and a table to use for some reading. I looked and looked, and I was inexplicably drawn to the corporate monstrosity (had actually already walked by two from the train station). I'd like to tell myself that it was just because I was multi-tasking by finding a study space AND buy the mug, but in honestly, I was craving a steamed milk, and I knew Starbucks gives you some mean foam. So, I caved. I did have a bit of a cross-cultural experience, they charge about 40 cents extra per item if you enjoy it in the store rather than "take away." But I left even more determined to find a independent, happy-to-be-me coffee shop that I can frequent with my studies. I know I told a few of you I found a good Greenbean substitute, but the guys who work at this place give out the vibe that they are inconvenienced by pulling your espresso. So, I'm still on a quest. And so, confession, forgiveness, and reparation. Lather, rinse, repeat.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
Just cruised through some of your blogs....now I know what blog is!

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
Just cruised through some of your blogs....now I know what blog is!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Sarah Kennedy said...

It's ok Lynn, sometimes all you need is a good taste of home, and since you can't have the Greenbean in London, what else in London would be as "seattle-ish" than Starbucks?? I hope that you enjoyed your drink, and I'm still amazed they charge more to use their tables :)

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn! Uncle Jon here. I'm enjoying your blog.

The London SBUX have a drink that the Seattle ones don't: Tall White Americano. The Londoners will add steamed milk to your Americano for no charge! (That's what a TWA is.)

I got used to these during our summer trip. I'd walk in and say, "Tall White Americano". The barista would say, "Yes, and what will you have?"

(Uncle Jon is 6'4" and wears sunscreen everyday.)

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home